Types of Cancer
Cancer can be divided into the following categories:
- Carcinoma - starts in the epithelial cells that line or cover internal
body organs. Examples are breast, prostate, lungs and colon cancer.
- Sarcoma - starts in connective tissue.
For example in bone,
cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or
- Leukemia - starts in blood-forming
tissue such as the bone marrow and causes large numbers of abnormal
blood cells to be produced and enter the blood. No tumors are formed
- Lymphoma and Myeloma - starts in
the cells of the immune system. Lymphoma in Lymphatic cells
(lymph node). Myeloma is cancer of the white blood cells known as
- Central nervous system cancers - starts in the tissues of the brain and spinal cord,
for example brain tumor.